I may have seen something similar:  If I provide dyndns-host-open
with a SUBDOMAIN to the DOMAIN that's entered under the Network tab,
IPTables doesn't find that subdomain IP address.  See the log output
below. To be clear, that SUBDOMAIN is _different_ than the HOSTNAME
provided under the Network tab and there are no hosts with that DOMAIN
listed under "DNS Forwarder Hosts."

I found a simple work-around but thought this might be worth
mentioning in the context of Michael Knill's observations.

Log: user.info firewall: dyndns-host-open: /usr/sbin/iptables: (2)
iptables v1.8.4 (legacy): host/network `subdomain.domain.com' not
found Try `iptables -h' or 'iptables --help' for more information.

Dan