On 8/8/2018 9:00 PM, Peter Oh wrote:

On 08/08/2018 03:40 AM, Wen Gong wrote:
Add a field for ath10k to adjust the sk_pacing_shift, mac80211 set
the default value to 8, and ath10k will change it to 6. Then mac80211
will use the changed value 6 as sk_pacing_shift since 6 is the best
value for tx throughput by test result.
I don't think you can convince people with the numbers unless you
provide latency along with the numbers and also measurement result on
different chipsets as Michal addressed (QCA4019, QCA9984, etc.) From
users view point, I also agree on Toke that we cannot scarify latency
for the small throughput improvement.

Yeah. The wireless industry (admittedly that is me too :-p ) has been focused on just throughput long enough. All the preaching about bufferbloat from Dave and others is (just) starting to sink in here and there.

Now as for the value of the sk_pacing_shift I think we agree it depends on the specific device so in that sense the api makes sense, but I think there are a lot of variables so I was wondering if we could introduce a sysctl parameter for it. Does that make sense?

Regards,
Arend