2007/11/25, Nick Kossifidis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> I was searching the net on stuff about 23** chips and i found the
> following post...
> http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r19399723-Merakiisnt-that-special
>
> That shows a full dump of the information found in eeprom (i guess
> that tool is part of athero's suite, well we can always make ath_info
> do the same ;-) ). After i found this post i tried to find similar
> dumps from other chipsets and i got this one...
>
> http://www.oswave.com/mediawiki/index.php/Eeprom_output
>
> So here's what we got:
>
> a) We need to get per channel calibration and power information from
> eeprom so we can be a step closer on fixing tx power support (at least
> now we know what the values should look like so it won't be that
> difficult, we also have the offsets etc, we just got to fill the
> missing bits in eeprom_init).
>
> b) We need to find out how these values are used (what we know so far
> is that they are used to modify RF Buffer -that's something totally
> obscure for now, we know nothing about rf buffer, what we have is from
> regdumps-). Here are some infos that might help (after searching on
> the net):
>
> XLNA = eXternal Low Noise Amplifier
> XPA = eXternal Pre Amplifier
> OB = Octave Band
> X Gain = Cross Gain (?)
> XPD = Cross Polarization Discrimination
> PGA = Programmable Gain Amplifier
>
> Also i found a nice patent from Atheros about 5111/2111 here ->
> http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?wo=2003092997&IA=WO2003092997&DISPLAY=DESC
>
> I haven't read it all but seems informative ;-)
>
> --
> GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
> As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)
> Nick

I've modified ath_info to dump all eeprom data we currently read with
eeprom_init, i'll commit changes asap on svn
(madwifi/branches/madwifi-trace/tools). I'll continue to work on
ath_info on userspace and when i'm able to read what the above eeprom
dumps show, i'll commit a patch for ath5k.

Most important: we should then start comparing eeprom dumps with
regdumps, to be more precise we need to see where (position) and how
(shifts etc) these eeprom values (calibration data) are written in rf
buffer before we commit it, during reset (take a look in rfregs
functions inside phy.c to see what i mean). To figure out how these
functions work for different chipsets we need to have both eeprom
infos -input- and regdumps -output- to play with. Right now ath_info
makes a dump of the eeprom but it's not helpfull output right now
(after all we need a working eeprom_init).

If we figure out how to create a propper rf buffer packet for each PHY
chip we'll be able to support them all ;-)