Isn't that patch slightly wrong anyway?

If the length of the ssid is 0 why check its first byte? Without looking
at the surrounding code, if that buffer is not allocated and we check
the bytes value, it could cause a seg fault.

I would think that the better way to write this would be:

if ((ssid_len == 0) || ((ssid_len == 1) && (ssid[0] == ' ')))
  return 1;

Just my 2c