2009/2/2 Alex Williams <linuxf...@gmail.com>:
> Hello!
> Sorry, I posted ~ same message to ath5k-devel today, but my mail account
> was deleted... + posted to user mailing list... But I think it's much
> more related to development.
>
> I have latest 2.6.29-rc3 kernel and latest ath5k driver.
> And I have 3 miniPCI cards:
> 1) Mikrotik R52 based on AR5314 - does not work at all, only attempts to
> connect to AP (dmesg)...
> 2) Phillips miniPCI PH12127E on AR5212 and Unknown Mikrotik based on
> AR5212...
>
> I have Mikrotik AP, which is works on 2.3-2.5 GHz and 4.9-6.1 GHz (spectrum
> analyzer proven) - this is based on atheros chipset card...
> I can connect with my AR5212 cards to this AP on frequencies from 4920 MHz
> to 5700 MHz. But I cant connect at freq grater than 5.7 GHz. At freqs > 5.7
> GHz it show me nothing when the spectrum analyzer shows me excellent
> signal!..
>
> Is there hardware lock in AR5212 baed cards??? Or software?
> But 5785 MHz is a legal frequency in USA...
>
> I tried with old static wireless regulatory + I'm also used
> http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Documentation/iw and
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/developers/Regulatory/CRDA to enable more
> freqs than default without any patches*. *Kernel messages and my own
> inserted printk-s says that new frequency ranges added and I can tune to
> channels listed in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels... For
> example I can tune to 5660 MHz and it connects to AP, BUT at 5785 MHz - it
> cannot connect and even see when scan... This is hardware problem? Or I need
> more patching? Or I must hack eeprom, registers values?..
>
> 1) How to enable more frequencies? Is it ever possible?
> 2) How to connect at 2.3xx GHz frequency to Mikrotik AP?

For AR5413 cards there was a bug when programming PLL, it's being
fixed right now (the patch that updates reset sequence), so they had
bad performance on 5GHz channels. This can be an explanation why your
AR5413 card couldn't work. For the other cards it seems weird that you
couldn't connect (are they AR5413 too ? What does dmesg say ?), do you
get any message about calibration timeouts ? (this can be an issue of
agc calibration timeout, so rx path stays disconnected).

I haven't played yet with channels on the upper 5GHz band, i thought
card would work ok there. I'll test this asap...

Please enable mac80211 debuging and send a dmesg log when scanning and
one when trying to connect on such channel ;-)

About 2.3xx channels, first we have a problem because they are out of
legal range for sure, second they are below channel 1 so you 'll have
to tweak channel mapping when registering channels.

Thanks for the feedback !

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)