Hi,
 calculating the time taken to transmit each packet, given the information
available in minstrel, is very small. This will not alter the final throughput.

There is some queing delay, but this only happens when there are more packets to send than there is time to send them.. This will happen if the application puts a hundred (or some such large number) packets to a network socket for transmission. In this case, I think the linux kernel will hold the packets, waiting for the right time to put them to the driver. The driver takes each packet as it is ready, and sends them. The time required to transfer the packets from the linux network stack to the transmission queue is minimal, and should be ignored.

The time required to transmit a packet (which is derived from the 802.11 acknowledgement packet, which is is available inside minstrel) maybe anything from 100s of microseconds to 24 ms. This time tells you much about the status of the link between the sending and recipient nodes.

Derek.