On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Arnd Hannemann
<hannem...@nets.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently experimenting with ath5k of kernel 2.6.33 in our
> mesh network. We, were previously using madwifi in "ahdemo" mode,
> which worked reasonably well.
>
> At the same time there is no reasonable traffic that justifies this high
> backlog.
> I'm not yet sure, but it may be related to this message in dmesg:
>
> [ 3681.006797] ath5k phy0: no further txbuf available, dropping packet

It's likely.

When this happens, we tell mac80211 to stop all of the
tx queues -- regardless of which queue stopped -- until
the hardware interrupts begin processing tx status
descriptors.  We re-enable them when there is a certain
amount of headroom.

> Any idea how to debug this problem further?

I would add a printk to where the queues are stopped
and re-enabled, and when packets are queued, to determine
which queue is using up all of the descriptors.  I can put
together a patch with the appropriate debug for you if you
like, but in a day or two when I'm a bit less busy.

By the way, I did notice that if we fail to map DMA
buffers we can leak tx descriptors, but this is unlikely
to be the cause.

--
Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com