Bob,
to identify the problem I had a printk in ath5k_hw_register_timeout
printing the remaining loops. Normally it took only very few loops
for the register to change to the target value (loops remaining in the
range of 20000..19980). To me this indicates that something went seriously
wrong and just doubling the time to 40000 loops was pointless (if the
normal range was about 20 loops and it doesn't finish in 20000 it won't
finish in 40000). That's why I didn't even try this.

However, I made the following observations:
1) The situation is recoverable without drastic measures: just restarting
hostapd and reconnecting the client is enough to get things going again
(this, BTW, is were my assumption about an open reference came from).
2) Sometimes I saw a successful reset after a failed one, however there
was no traffic.

>From these observations I came to the ath5k_reset_wake function. It gets
regularly called from the calibration tasklet and on error it leaves the
queues locked down. So instead of considering a failed reset as fatal
I introduced a retry with spectacular success. The code is now running
continuously for over 24 hours and I intend to let it over the weekend.

--
Regards
       Joerg