On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 5:29 PM, Bob Copeland <m...@bobcopeland.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 6, 2010 at 6:59 PM, Miklos Christine
> <m.w.christ...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I am trying to store sampled values from one of the debugging files. I
>> modified the debug.c file to read some registers and print to stdout
>> whenever I call:
>> $ sudo cat /debug/ath5k/phy0/antenna.
>
> (There's a "registers" file, FWIW)

I added the registers that I want to the register files, but I need to
be able to read 3 registers very quickly. Reading the registers file
multiple times could not perform at the speed that I need.

>> I need to read the registers 100,000 a second for approximately 25 seconds
>> and store them in memory. After which I could copy the memory to disk.
>> I was thinking that I could allocate a large chunk of memory and store the
>> values in an array, but was not sure if this was possible.
>
> What registers are you trying to read?  If you just want to see the bus
> traffic (i.e. what we read and write), mmiotrace is a better way.  I'm
> guessing the card won't be too happy if you consume all the bus cycles
> with pci reads.

The 3 registers I am trying to read are:
AR5K_PROFCNT_TX, AR5K_PROFCNT_RXCLR, AR5K_PROFCNT_CYCLE.

I read the cycle register twice to bound my samples by a corresponding
time value.

> Most people use ftrace's trace buffers for getting this sort of
> firehose data out of the kernel.

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into ftrace and mmiotrace.

> --
> Bob Copeland %% www.bobcopeland.com

Thanks,
Miklos Christine