On Wednesday 17 November 2010, Bob Copeland wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 7:22 AM, David Goodenough
>
> <david.goodeno...@linkchoose.co.uk> wrote:
> > I have a board with an atheros wireless card, driven by ath5k.  The
> > driver is from compat wireless as supplied by openwrt trunk with a
> > 2.6.32 kernel.
>
> What's the exact error message?
>
> Most often these are the reason codes defined by the
> 802.11 standard, and you can find them listed there
> (in my copy, table 7-22).  Unfortunately error code 1
> is "unspecified reason."  Unless you can get more
> information from the access point, your best bet may
> be to do a frame capture and see if there's anything
> obvious that may be upsetting the AP.

The exact error message is:-

wpa_supplicant: deauthenticated from 00:26:f2:06:10:68 (Reason: 1)

It happens at pretty regular 2 minute intervals.  The reasociation happens
normally, and then it dies after another two minutes.  DHCP renewal is not
due for 26910 seconds.

The access point (a netgear) has no meaningful log on it unfortunately, but
the other wireless clients around (this laptop and another playing Radio 3
in the background) do not seem to get any such problems (I have checked
their logs).

I have tried several wireless cards, with mixed success.  This error occurs
on an old Senao NL-5354MP, I have also tried two Microtik R52 cards
and they have the same disconnect problem, but also do not want to
get a proper DHCP address which the Senao card does quite normally.

This AP is WPA, so seeing what is going on is going to be difficult with
any frame capture.  I could set up another AP without security and see
what happens with that.  In fact I think that sounds like a good plan.

David