Well, the first thing that immediately springs to mind there is 11g == OFDM
and CCK, but 11a == OFDM only. You may find the CCK stuff behaves
differently in the presence of noise.

You could also try fiddling with ANI (is there ani in ath5k?) which has some
parameters for controlling CCK sensitivity/threshold/trigger levels.

HTH,

Adrian