On Jul 13, 2011, at 4:42 PM, Grant wrote:

>> Again, anything with an AR9280 on board will be fine. Some of the
>> antenna arrangements though are a bit .. special.
>
> I'm told this one fits the bill:
>
> http://www.tp-link.com/products/productDetails.asp?pmodel=TL-WN951N
>
> It is said to have a AR5008 chip.  Can anyone confirm that this card
> works in AP mode?
>
> - Grant

As many have said, yes, the AR5008 chipset works in AP mode - but it is older
than the AR9280 and has some quirks.

Also, a warning, I have found that many vendors who make PCI/PCIe cards have a
bad habit of switching around the chipsets without warning customers. Unless a
vendor themself markets the product based on the specific chipset, I try not to
trust the random chance of whatever hardware revision I might (or might not)
find when I buy the product.

I am behind the many who have said - why not an adaptor? I use them regularly
and the cards screw easily and securely into the adaptor without exceeding the
thickness of a normal card, and the adaptor provides nice antenna ports on the
back of the card. Many adaptors even bundle antennas, so you don't need to buy
anything else.

I hope this helps...