I have found an interesting workaround that seems quite effective and
requires no code changes for a Fedora user with my hardware... would
be interested to see if anyone else can reproduce this or explain why
it fixes the problem.

Recall I was trying to audit the Fedora kernel ASPM related patches -
I tried but really don't have enough knowledge of PCIE and related
stuff to completely make sense of it all. Also I have to treat all the
patches and code comments with healthy skepticism because they seem to
have an air of black art about them. As if they are guesses at a
solution rather than something guranteed to conform to some
specification.

Anyway reading the code and understanding a little about the changes
that had worked, I saw that there was another option for pcie_aspm.
Tony had tried pcie_aspm=off previously but it seemed to me that
pcie_aspm=force might be worth a try. I tried it with the
2.6.38.8-35.fc15.i686 kernel straight from Fedora (ie. without any
patches or hacking from me) and it worked.

So for me at least, no more hacking bleeding edge wireless packages or
building specially patched kernels. Just add:

pcie_aspm=force

to the kernel command line.

Comments?

-Cam