On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 09:04:14AM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> Ok, I've collected a successful trace with wpa_supplicant, and added
> it to the bugzilla entry.

Thanks. This log does actually show a retry of the EAPOL-Key message 1/4
about a second after the first attempt and that was the area I wanted to
get more details on to allow this to be compared to the one with NM
where EAPOL-Key message 3/4 does not come from the AP. Based on this, it
is now less clear to me why the NM case would have behaved differently.

> I do not know how to get NM to expose the PSK key it is using, though.
>  So the NM-generated failing log doesn't have that information, and
> unless somebody tells me the magic dbus sequence to enable it, I
> likely won't get it...

I'm not really familiar with debugging with NM enabled, but it could be
possible that the instructions for the older wpa_supplicant on
https://live.gnome.org/NetworkManager/Debugging could be adopted for
this. The key here would be to get -K added wpa_supplicant command line
since exposing of the keys cannot be enabled dynamically at runtime.

It could be possible to do that by editing one of these files:
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.w1.wpa_supplicant1.service
/usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/fi.epitest.hostap.WPASupplicant.service
I had both on my desktop; don't know which one is used now, but I'd
assume it is the first one since that uses a newer D-Bus interface.

Adding -dK to the Exec item there would hopefully add those to the
wpa_supplicant command line. "sudo killall wpa_supplicant" should force
wpa_supplicant to be restarted with the updated command line.

(And yes, you probably want to remove that -K from the command line
after having collected the logs to avoid future passwords for any other
network getting written into a log file..)