On 25 November 2013 23:24, Alex Hacker <hac...@epn.ru> wrote:
> Open source community is a biggest of the biggest customers, isn't it? It is
> a huge market, I speak about millions of gadgets and plastic boxes working
> under some sort of Linux or BSD. Adrian, did you told something like that when
> worked for QCA? But IMO the reason is different. QCA prefers to close any
> access to a hardware, especially to non-standard PHY/Radio features. The same
> role be played by HAL in older Atheros chips.

Sure, but they're all initially sold to .. not us. :-)

They're sold to laptop, access point and (increasingly majority by
number) phones and tablets.

Those are the companies that you have to lobby in general to get
improved open source support for these kinds of things. Those are the
customers the hardware manufacturers will care about.

We in the open source community get that "for free" as a side effect
of someone else signing a purchase order for x million a year.

> Sorry for the offtopic again, initially I wanted to leave only a small note to
> the Ben's post. We need to move this discussion to the ath10k-devel list.
> Regards,
> Alex.

-adrian