As per suggestions, I tried modprobe -r ehci_hcd. No difference I'm
afraid. I have another laptop with almost identical hardward (acer
1810tz) and I recently installed the very same wifi card. I tested
suspend on that last night and it didn't experience any significant
battery discharge. If that information helps?

****Forgot to add that this laptop (1810tz)  runs Windows 8.