On 8 Dec 2004, at 4:15 pm, Danny Ayers wrote:

It may well be a good idea to treat priority differently than other
properties, but it's not yet clear what is meant by the term. There's
really quite a lot being assumed - how does priority relate to urgency
and importance?

Importance might be a petter word for it, or prominence maybe. It wouldn't be used for QoS-type stuff that prioritizing implies. They'd purely be a hint for the UA, which currently has no choice but to display all entries the same way.

Presumably this will be a publisher-set value, but on
some kind of linear scale? discrete or continuous?

I'd imagine a scale of 1 to 10 (though no upper limit is really necessary), with 1 being the most important.

global or site-local?

Site-local, otherwise it's open to abuse, and too difficult to define. The numbers would be purely relative to other entries from the same feed, as a standardized scale would be impossible to come up with. Composite feeds may have to strip them, or we could come up with a simple rule based on feed ids and headinentry.

Time to write a Pace.

Graham