On Sunday, January 9, 2005, at 03:18 AM, Eric Scheid wrote:
sidebar: does the signature technology we use for the atom format allow us
to state that certain child elements are not to be included in the signature
algorithm. I'm thinking of something along the lines of the following...

<feed>
    <entry>
        <content ... />
        <date ... />
        ... <!-- usual atom:entry elements -->
        <Signature ... />
        <annotation by="pubsub.com">
            <!-- stuff which the atom spec says won't be
                 included in the signature calculation -->
        </annotation>
    </entry>
</feed>

This has come up before[1], but I don't think a Pace was ever written--a "not-signed" attribute seemed to be preferred early in the discussion. One drawback vs. a "not-signed" attribute is that applications would have to be able to recognize that <annotation>'s children belong at the level where the annotation element itself lives. The obvious advantage of <annotation> would be that the annotation itself could be signed, a la:

<feed>
    <entry>
        <content ... />
        <date ... />
        ... <!-- usual atom:entry elements -->
        <Signature ... />
        <annotation by="pubsub.com">
            <Signature ... />
            <!-- stuff which the atom spec says won't be
                 included in the signature calculation for the ENTRY -->
        </annotation>
    </entry>
</feed>

<annotation> could also be useful as a means of tracking where annotations to an entry came from. Only the original publisher might be allowed to add data outside of an annotation element. Applications merging entries might do so and put everything outside of annotation elements, but they could be required to generate a new ID for the entry, thus not asserting that it was an instance of one of the source entries.

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg09534.html