* 3.1.1 "type" Attribute

I was wondering how I can include MathML in Atom posts or simple SVG
fragments. If there are extension mechanisms available, shouldn't 3.1.1
refer to those?

* 3.5.1 "rel" Attribute

Why are the only values defined "alternate" and "related"? I have
implemented "via" for a long time on my personal weblog and some
aggregators have even implemented support for it. I consider it to be
quite useful.

* 3.5.2 "type" Attribute

It is a bit vague that this TYPE attribute differs from the one in
section 3.1.1. Where this one MUST have a MIME type as value the other
MUST NOT.

* 3.5.4 "hreflang" Attribute

What I do not understand is that Atom provides a mechanism for linking
to translations of the entry but does not provide a mechanism to include
the actual translation. (For example, by allowing only a single TITLE
element instead of allowing multiple if the value of the xml:lang
attribute is different.)

* 4.1 "version" Attribute

Does this attribute imply the feed has to be downloaded first before the
aggregator knows if it supports the Atom format used? Can this not be
solved by a MIME type parameter or is that going to difficult to implement?

* 4.2.2 "atom:link" Element

It does not make sense to only allow a single "alternate" link construct
if the TYPE attribute has the same value. What if I have translations of
the document in question? For example:

# <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" hreflang="nl" href="/nl/"/>
# <link rel="alternate" type="text/html" hreflang="ja" href="/ja/"/>

* 5.2 "atom:link" Element

This element has the same stupid restriction. It actually contradicts
the statement made in 3.5.4.

* 5.4 "atom:edit" Element

Why does the specification not define that this MUST be a URI and how
this URI MUST be processed as is done in for example 3.5.3?

* 5.8 "atom:id" Element

What type of content does this element contain? A URI, a string? How
should it be created? How can I make sure, as a publisher that my
atom:id value is universally unique and always will be?

* 5.12.1 "type" attribute

This makes the TYPE attribute suck even more, IMHO. Can the Atom WG not
introduce a second attribute? I believe we had MODE and TYPE some time ago.

* 5.12.2 "src" attribute

How about fallback content? What is meant with "should be local"? For
example, what do I do if I want to include a large SVG graphic in my
feed which has the MIME type "image/svg+xml". Should I include it into
the feed?

This was about it. I hope it is of some use.

-- Anne van Kesteren <http://annevankesteren.nl/>