On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 18:08:08 -0800, Tim Bray <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

You know, I'd never really thought about this one, but now that I have, I wonder why on earth we should be trying to micromanage syntax for people we don't know writing extensions we know nothing about to solve problems we've never heard of... I'm veering toward -1. -Tim

How can guiding extension-writing people to use a defined syntax be bad? I mean, what implications can syntax have over what the extensions try to accomplish? Is it critical for any applications to have 'elementsWrittenLikeThis' instead of 'elements-written-like-this'?

I came up with the guidelines because I'd like to see Atom, with extensions, look as clean and easilly readable as possible. If Atom becomes a mish-mash of different syntax «standards», it will be horrible to read, parse and generate.

I'm very much open to rewriting stuff if there's anything in particular people have problems with.

--
Asbjørn Ulsberg     -=|=-    http://virtuelvis.com/quark/