Julian Reschke wrote:

Sam Ruby wrote:

I also don't like the restriction on where namespace declarations must
be placed, but overall, I believe that the pace is a good idea.

Consumers don't want full web pages (complete with html head and titles)
as summaries, they want something that they can *insert* into a web
page.  Requiring a div element addresses a number of needs - it makes it
easier to get the namespace right, and it succinctly provides a rather
good hint as to what child elements are valid.

That's what the spec already says, doesn't it? -> <http://atompub.org/2005/01/27/draft-ietf-atompub-format-05.html#rfc.section.3.1.1.p.6>

There are cases where explicit is better than implicit.

Given that common practice is to include this element, making it mandatory makes things clearer to both people who are producing consuming tools based on the spec, and people who are producing new feeds based on copy and paste.

- Sam Ruby