On 31 Jan 2005, at 4:22 am, Tim Bray wrote:

OFor "ongoing", I plan to use the same http: URIs for both the <atom:id> and <link rel="alternate">; I will manage (and have managed) my URI space so that they will meet the requirements of permanence, uniqueness, and so on. In this case the <atom:id> URI will absolutely be dereferenced, but only in its <link> role. The language above could be read as discouraging what I'm planning to do, and what I'm planning to do is perfectly good practice.

That's a valid bug in the wording.

I think what you're really trying to say is this:

"When using <atom:id> to ascertain whether two Atom entries or feeds are the same, such operations MUST be based only on the URI character strings, and MUST NOT rely on dereferencing the URIs."

No. I'm trying to say that even if I'm using HTTP URIs, client software should not create a link to that address in the interface and has no valid reason to try downloading it. This contrasts with RSS 2.0 where guid is by default a permalink, and RSS 1.0 where rdf:about is required to be the same as rss:link.

Graham