On 2 Feb 2005, at 2:34 am, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

On Feb 1, 2005, at 5:12 PM, Graham wrote:
On 2 Feb 2005, at 12:52 am, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

There is no need to explain what "different ids" means -- any two
URIs that are different identifiers will never compare as
"equivalent", regardless of the comparison algorithm used.

Pardon? If I use case sensitive ids (eg base64 style "http://www.example.com/aBCde"; and "http://www.example.com/aBCdE"; are different), and the client is case-insensitive, that's not going to work.

I meant regardless of the URI comparison algorithm used, as described in RFC3986. I wouldn't expect comparison based on number of "1" bits to work either.

That RFC defines 4 different levels of equivalence. I'd be happy for the spec to say "Two different entries must have ids that are different under all provisions of RFC3986 Sect 6.2" This would also remove the last barrier to losing the canonicalization fluff.

Graham