> I have heard interesting arguments "It's all about the Entries, stupid!"
> that made the opposite assessment: namely that the entries are what is
> important, and that what feed an Entry is part of, is a accident of
> life.
>
> The idea there is that Entries are the stand alone entities. They can
> be made to be part of any feed whatsoever. A feed in this
> conceptualization,
> is a little like a search engine result listing where the pages they
> refer
> to are like entries (notice that search engine results pages are just a
> type of web page too). Which feed your entry appears in will depend very
> much on the type of query the user of the search engine made.

OK, I can buy that, as long as that is indeed how things are supposed
to be defined.  Note, however, that the Atom syntax spec focuses on
feeds as resources and that entries just happen to be contained in
feeds. e.g. from Section 1: "Atom is an XML-based document format
which describes lists of related information known as "feeds".  Feeds
are composed of a number of items, known as "entries", each with an
extensible set of attached metadata."  If the assertion that the
entries are the standalone entities is correct, then the text in the
spec needs to be changed to reflect that assertion.

Granting the assumption that the entries are the standalone entities
and feeds are merely just a convenient container for entries, the
identification of containing parent-feed becomes less important.  The
need to identify where the entity came from, however, obviously still
remains.. although not necessarily as a core requirement.

Back to the original point about HeadInEntry:  HeadInEntry is not
required to achieve the origin/container identification, regardless of
whether or not origin/container identification should be part of the
core.  If there are no other reasons why HeadInEntry should remain in
the core, then by all means, rip that sucker out of there.
PaceAggregationInSeparateSpec by no means locks it in place.

--
- James Snell
  http://www.snellspace.com