Tim Bray wrote:
>Would the following work:
>1. A new feed-level element <atom:alt-uri-prefix>, any number allowed.
><feed>
>   <link>http://www.tbray.org/ongoing/</link>
>   <alt-uri-prefix>http://www.tbray.org/</alt-uri-prefix>
>   <alt-uri-prefix>http://tbray.org/</alt-uri-prefix>
        I don't like this. Hopefully, I can explain why. The reason is a bit
subtle...
        Tim's proposal relies on a feed "empowering" one or more other
feeds.  He allows a feed to say: "Any of these other feeds are allowed to
override me."
        The proposal I made relies on a feed making statements only about
itself. In my proposal, a feed can only say: "I contain copies of these
other feeds. I am a secondary feed."
        Personally, I think we're safer if we only allow feeds to speak
about themselves. The moment we start down the road of granting rights,
we're heading towards quicksand.
        I should also say that I like the idea of a feed subordinating
itself to another in that we would inevitably get from that the idea of a
"primary" feed. i.e. The primary is that feed which defers to no other feed.
        A side benefit of having "primary feeds" would be that people would
be more likely to do things like include full "category" data in the entries
they publish rather than publishing entries into specialized feeds as the
way to indicate "category."

                bob wyman