Mark Nottingham wrote:

Hmm. As far as I can tell, the *only* place where we actually define a rule is 4.2.9.2, and that's just combining two rules by reference. I wonder if we can save complexity here (and remove one normative reference) by just doing this in prose; the text is currently:
[[[
ABNF for the "rel" attribute:

   rel_attribute = isegment-nz-nc / IRI

   The value of "rel" MUST be string that is non-empty, does not contain
   any colon (":") characters, and matches the "isegment-nz-nc" or "IRI"
   ABNF forms in [RFC3987].
]]]

So it seems like the ABNF is extraneous here, and if we dropped it, we could also drop the reference.

(Just a suggestion, I'm also happy to change the reference.)

I commented on this and felt it could be dropped as could an ABNF ref in in 3 (3.3?)

Suggest adding the following after "Atom Documents MUST be well-formed XML.";

[[[This specification does not define a DTD for Atom Documents, and hence does not require them to be valid (in the sense used by XML).]]]

+1

cheers
Bill