Tim Bray wrote:

We need to do a bit of cleanup. But bear in mind that the measuring stick is interoperability. In the case of type="html", the language is well-taken (from 3.1.1.1):

 If the value of "type" is "html", the content of the Text construct
 MUST NOT contain child elements, and SHOULD be suitable for handling
 as HTML

"suitable for handling as HTML" may be a bit hand-wavy but corresponds exactly to reality and is about as far as we can realistically go.

How about this text for XHTML:

 If the value of "type" is "xhtml", the content of the Text construct
 MUST be a single XHTML div element [XHTML transitional reference], and
 SHOULD be suitable for handling as XHTML.

Robert Sayre