Klotz, Leigh wrote:

I'm being cautious here, because vocabulary integration is one of my
main concerns in the direction Atom is taking, and I hate to see
everything hard-coded with special deference to particular HTML tags.
If we can't solve the problems without recourse to spec changes, we
won't be building an extensible standard.

Atom's content element allows arbitrary XML. Atom's Text construct does not. If the format were to allow basically anything in those, there wouldn't be much of a standard.

Could you let me know why RNG can't be normative? Is it written down somewhere in the RFC? There's normative BNF in various IETF RFCs and I don't see much difference, especially since RNC looks like BNF and it's now an ISO standard.

There's no procedural reason, it was a working group decision.

Robert Sayre