On 20 Apr 2005, at 3:15 pm, Antone Roundy wrote:

So requiring a wrapper to be added to the content when the author didn't put one there, and not providing a way to signal the author's intent is better than giving the publishing software a way to add and signal the presence of a software-generated wrapper or publish without an extra wrapper?

Actually I was thinking about this and you're right, it isn't benign to an XHTML fragment into a block (by adding a div) or whatever for no reason. That put's me in favor of Sam's spec, but I currently the explanation of why and how it should work is insufficient:

The XHTML div element itself MUST NOT be considered part of the content.

Expanding:

Note the intended content is that inside the XHTML div and so the div itself MUST
be discarded.

I'd like some mention one way or the other of what happens to attributes placed on the div. I presume they'd be ignored and shouldn't be used.

Graham