On May 5, 2005, at 16:24, Walter Underwood wrote:

--On May 5, 2005 8:07:15 AM -0500 Mark Pilgrim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Not to be flippant, but we have one that's widely available. It's called the Expires header.

You need the information outside of HTTP. To quote from the RSS spec for ttl:

This makes it possible for RSS sources to be managed by a file-sharing
network such as Gnutella.

Caching information is about knowing when your client cache is stale,
regardless of how you got the feed.

Virtually everyone with IP connectivity can do HTTP, and HTTP has the Expires header. If this feature is important to you, why would you switch to a transfer protocol that doesn't have the feature? (I am not claiming anything about the actual Gnutella features.) To me, the "what if the feed is not over HTTP" argumentation seems theoretical over-generalization.

--
Henri Sivonen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]