On Mon, 16 May 2005 01:16:21 +0200, "A. Pagaltzis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
said:
> An even half-way intelligent user agent would do something like
> display a "read more" link or button when it displays a summary,
> to alert the user that there is more to be read, either at the
> atom:[EMAIL PROTECTED]'alternate'] location or in a supplied
> atom:content.

I think this is the key criterion albeit not a particularly formal one.

Which got me thinking: say I provide both a summary-only feed and a
full-content feed.

I believe it is reasonable to:

 1. include a summary element in my full-content feed in addition to the
 content element; and
 2. have some (short) entries in my summary-only feed which contain a
 content element but no summary.

In other words:

 1. "full-content feed" doesn't preclude the existence of a summary
 element but there will never be a summary element without a content
 element.
 2. "summary-only feed" really means that the included summary/content
 won't exceed some arbitrary length. If the content is short enough to
 fit this, I'll use a content element, even though this is a
 "summary-only" feed because the content is complete---there is no "read
 more".

James
--
  James Tauber               http://jtauber.com/