On 5/20/05, Thomas Broyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'd like to raise this up one more time:
> http://www.imc.org/atom-syntax/mail-archive/msg14247.html
>
> Atom defines rules based on MIME media types in @type attributes, and I'm
> not sure they are actually accurate...
> They also don't explain the actual meaning behind the technical rules.
>
> In 4.1.3.2:
> [
>    If the value of type begins with "text/" or ends with "+xml", the
>    content SHOULD be local; that is to say, no "src" attribute should be
>    provided.
> ]
>
> Replace with:
> [
>    If the value of type is a text or XML media type, that is, if it begins
>    with "text/", is one the XML Media Types [XMLMIME] or ends with "+xml",
>    the content SHOULD be local; that is to say, no "src" attribute should
>    be provided.
> ]

To be completely accurate, the part before the '/' is called the type, the part
after the '/' is called the sub-type, so to rephrase your re-phrasing:

    If the value of is a text or XML media type, that is, if the type component
    of the mime-type  is equal to  "text", or if the mime-type is one the
    XML Media Types [XMLMIME], or the mime-type's sub-type ends with "+xml",
    the content SHOULD be local; that is to say, no "src" attribute should
    be provided.

   -joe

--
Joe Gregorio        http://bitworking.org