* Eric Scheid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-05-20 20:10]:
> On 21/5/05 3:41 AM, "A. Pagaltzis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > However, it does pose a problem of default semantics. Do we
> > define particular categories in the spec? If we donÂt, do we
> > define a default category to be assumed in absence of
> > explicit category elements in the document? If we do, do we
> > define such a default?
>
> The simplest thing that could possibly work is to say that if
> there is no <category> element inside the <contributor> then
> assume a default of @term="author" with unspecified @scheme and
> unspecified @label.
>
> Covers 99% of use cases, I should think.
>
> No need to explain what the string "author" means, surely?

Sounds fine; but you did not directly address the question of
whether we define any default semantics. The absence of
atom:category and <category term="author" /> mean the same thing
per your proposal. You did effectively specify a term âauthorâ
with particular semantics, if only implicitly.

My question is: do we define even as much?

Background: we could say something like âThe given contributor is
to be assumed to be an author of the entry in absence of an
atom:category stating otherwise.â which avoids defining any terms
at all, even implicitly.

To get to the point: if we do define one term, do we define more
of them as well? Such as âeditor,â âcorrespondentâ or whatever?

This is the only reason Iâm at all wary of the proposition. The
infrastructure it supplies is sound and very elegant, but the
infrastructure per se is hollow scaffolding without the semantics
it is supposed to carry, and I feel really uncomfortable about
the idea of getting into that semantics game. Particular at this
so very late stage.

If we can find an approach that avoids getting into that can of
worms, Iâm definitely in support of the idea. If we cannot stay
away from it, then allowing multiple atom:author elements and
leaving any additional complexities to extension elements would
be the simpler thing to do.

Aristotle