Robert Sayre wrote:

I fully agree that other ways of arranging authors and contributors
are possible and reasonable, but no one has demonstrated a document
that format-08 can't cover.

The Atom Syndication Fformat spec has two authors and many contributors. Limiting to one author, you can't distinguish between the authors and contributors.

+1 on allowing multiple atom:author
-1 to dropping atom:contributor
-1 to renaming atom:author
(I did already say I was +1 on having deterministic content model and according care to element ordering but that's not really the point here)

<atom:entry>
  <atom:title>The Atom Syndication Format</atom:title>
  <atom:subtitle>draft-ietf-atompub-format-08</atom:subtitle>
  <atom:author>
     <atom:name>Mark Nottingham</atom:name>
     <atom:email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</atom:email>
     <atom:uri>http://www.mnot.net/</atom:uri>
  </atom:author>
  <atom:author>
     <atom:name>Robert Sayre</atom:name>
     <atom:email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</atom:email>
     <atom:uri>http://boswijck.com</atom:uri>
  </atom:author>
  <atom:contributor>
     <atom:name>Tim Bray</atom:name>