On 24 May 2005, at 5:06 am, James Cerra wrote:

First off: it is an error to lie about your
media-type, so I would change "SHOULD be suitable for
handling as the indicated media type" to "MUST be
suitable for handling as the indicated media type."

+1

Secondly, XML may be entity (or CDATA) encoded like
@type="html" or plain xml like @type="xhtml".  This is
becuase of the "content of atom:content MAY include
child elements" phrase.  There is no guarantee if an
entity escaped passage is xml or a text node example
of an xml document (i.e. an example of an xml
document), for example.

If I follow you right, you misunderstand. Atom documents are unambiguous. XML has to be inserted literally, with no entity escaping (except for entities that are part of text nodes) allowed.

<atom:content type="application/xml">
&lt;?xml version="1.0?>
&lt;tag /></atom:content>

This is invalid, since it has no root element. It represents the standalone XML document:

<?xml version="1.0">
&lt;?xml version="1.0?>
&lt;tag />

This is correct:

<atom:content type="application/xml"><tag /></atom:content>

Graham