James M Snell wrote:

Ignoring the overhead that it adds for now, isn't this the kind of situation digital signatures are designed to handle?

Yes. Norm and I have mentioned this as well. I do not think we can solve this problem by patching the Atom level, ensuring that the Atom level can be ex-canonicalised and signed is sufficient.

If I put out an entry with a given ID and digitally sign it, and someone comes along and attempts to publish an entry with a duplicate ID and updated timestamp and it is NOT signed with the same key my original was signed with, then hey, Houston we've got a problem. Without any kind of cryptographic guarantee of this sort, the best you could do is make an educated guess. Would it make sense to include some language along these lines?

Belongs in the security sections. I would trust the editors to add the text if they were willing.

cheers
Bill