On 6/18/05, David Powell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I'm still looking, but my suspicion is that we never did rule them
> >> out, and that this restriction crept in during some editorial
> >> rephrasing.
>
> > <co-chair-mode>I disagree.  Atom 0.3 had explicit built-in support
> > for multipart, and there was strong (not rough) consensus support for
> > retiring that and replacing it with the language in the current draft.
>
> <process-objection>
> But, there doesn't seem to have been any discussion or consensus
> whatsoever for the prohibition of composite MIME types in content,
> such as message/*, that was introduced in 08.
> </process-objection>
>

> Atom 0.3 multiparts forced a dubious and complex processing model on
> everyone wanting to process Atom documents. This problem was solved by
> their removal in the 03 to 07 drafts.
>
> The prohibition of composite types in the 08 draft (made many months
> later) ....

Um, no. One of the drafts reworded the requirement in terms of the new
MIME draft. Previously, the draft cited RFC2045's "discrete type".
>From format-03:

"Failing that, it MUST be a MIME media type [RFC2045] in which, to use
the terminology of Section 5 of [RFC2045], the top level is a discrete
type."

We had to, you know, make an editorial change because the new MIME
draft doesn't use the term "discrete type" anymore.

Robert Sayre