On Aug 2, 2005, at 4:37 PM, Robert Sayre wrote:

One way of saying this would be "Atom Processors MAY ignore leading
and trailing whitespace in _____________." That is, no existing
software is buggy, but if you want to be sure your document is
processed accurately, you should trim the space yourself.

Ecch.  Blecch.  Barf.

I suppose.

I personally think the framework of specifications is crystal-clear, and per the letter of the law

<atom:id>
http://example.com/foo
</atom:id>

is totally illegal because the string \nhttp://example.com/foo\n does not conform to the productions for either URI or IRI.

I am less convinced that people are actually going to do this, but I do agree that if a substantial number *do* do this, implementors will simply ignore us and code around it. So if the WG really thinks this is a sensible clarification I won't scream too much. -Tim