James M Snell wrote:
the dcterms:valid element is not quite expressive enough in that it is limited to dates (and does not include the time).

Are you sure about that? The example here (http://web.resource.org/rss/1.0/modules/dcterms/#valid) certainly shows a time range, and the documentation for DCMI Period here (http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-period/) says nothing about limiting to a date either. You get to specify the scheme used, but they generally seem to use W3C-DTF which gives you as much (or as little) precision as you want.

dcterms:available is equivalent to atom:updated.

I would have thought that equivalent was dcterms:modified.

dcterms:modified -> Date on which the resource was changed.
dcterms:available -> Date (often a range) that the resource will become or did become available.

There appears to not be any dcterm equivalent to my max-age element.

I thought about that, but I couldn't see any real advantage to max-age in this context. It's not as if it's relative to the last time the document was retrieved in which case an equivalent end date would have to be recalculated every time the feed was downloaded. Since it's relative to the atom:update time, it only needs to be calculated when an item is updated and in that case you'd be updating the feed anyway.

Regards
James