It occurred to me that I should think a little more before speaking.

There seems to be a history of the atom spec here:

http://bitworking.org/projects/atom/

I could not find the prev link in any of the specs. So I guess I was mistaken. But I also always thought of prev and next as being very good candidates for the link element. I never raised my voice against the move at the time because
I assumed most decisions on this list were good ones.

There is one reference to prev and next here:
    http://www.intertwingly.net/wiki/pie/LinkTagMeaning

Henry