Eric Scheid wrote:

On 22/10/05 1:20 PM, "James Holderness" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<link rel=enclosure" href"..." ...>
  <x:alternate href="..." title="..." />
  <x:alternate href="..." title="..." />
</link>
I like this a lot. You get fallback support when a link goes down as well as
the ability to download from multiple sources simultaneously for extra
speed. For this to work, though, it's vital that these resources are
bit-for-bit identical. If not I think they MUST include an x:md5 attribute
so an aggregator can tell which are safe to interleave.

that's a different direction, but an interesting one.

What we were thinking was along the lines of saying: here is enclosure in
mp3 format, but it's also available as ogg, wav, and in hreflang="fr-CA" for
you Canadian rebels.

The challenge with using alternate to point to files of different types is that why would someone do (a) when they can already do (b) without the help of a new extension

(a)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="http://example.com/file.mp3";>
 <x:alternate type="application/ogg" href="http://example2.com/file.ogg"; />
</link>

(b)
<link rel="enclosure" type="audio/mpeg" href="http://example.com/file.mp3"; /> <link rel="enclosure" type="application/ogg" href="http://example2.com/file.ogg"; />

What I want is a way of indicating that a particular resource is available at multiple locations. I'll use multiple link elements to indicate that there are multiple formats.
it would be fair to say that any two x:alternate with different @href's but
equivalent x:md5 are mirrors. That can fit into the model with no other
modifications :-)

I would argue that the x:md5 for all alternates should be the same as the parent link.

- James