--On December 23, 2005 11:31:22 PM +0100 Henry Story <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> So  you can't have a link pointing from an entry to an id, without losing some
> very important information. We need something more  specific. We need a link
> pointing from A to C as shown by the blue line.

Some people will need that in the guts of their publishing system. Why do
we need it in Atom? Is there something essential that subscribers cannot do
because this isn't represented? This sounds like something needed for the
publishing/translation workflow, not for the general readership.

Extended provenance information is sometimes needed, but there is almost
no limit to that. It certainly does not stop at translation, source, and
translator. I'm reading a new translation of Andersen's tales where
"Thumbelina" is "Inchelina" because the translator knew the right dialect
of Danish. That is significant, but does it need to be in Atom?

The semantics here should be exactly the same as for dates -- the date
means what the publisher thinks it means. Same for language info. Trying
to get more exact means that the model will be wrong for some publishers
that generate completely legal Atom.

wunder
--
Walter Underwood