On 12/15/06, Hugh Winkler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

It's telling that James felt it natural to choose the name "type" for
the parameter. Because it really is naming a new type of document.

What would be better than "type?" Might "root" work better?

It seems to me that "application/atom+xm;type=entry" describes "an Atom
document whose root element is `<entry/>'." The type of the document is
"atom" but it is a "kind" or "type" of atom document that has an <entry/>
element as it's root. Unfortunately, "type" is being used to mean two
completely different things in this context.

Would you be happier if the proposal was for the following?

   application/atom+xml;root=entry
   application/atom+xml;root=feed

One argument for using "root" is that it might be a usage that would be
useful with other mediatypes which have more than one possible root element.
Also, using "root" as the parameter name would ensure that folk don't get
confused into thinking that there is any kind of subtyping going on here --
specifying ";type=root" is simply providing meta-data which describes a
constrained use of the general atom type -- it is no different from doing
something like saying: "I won't except any feeds that don't have <icon/>
elements." or, "This feed contains no more than 256 entry elements." If one
is being exceptionally formal or overly pedantic, I can see how you might
argue that a feed constrained to fewer than 257 entries is somehow a
sub-type of sub-class of the more general atom type. But, since every
distinct instance of the atom type can be described in similar manners, it
would mean that every atom instance is a "subtype." In some contexts, this
observation might be useful. I don't think, however, that such precision is
useful in the realm for which we normally are designing Atom...

bob wyman