This document looks good on an initial quick read -- with one possible
exception. It says:

Atom processors that do recognize the parameter SHOULD
detect and report inconsistencies between the parameter's
value and the actual type of the document's root element.

This would seem to be creating a directive concerning behavior which
is not directly related to interoperation between systems. (I'm
assuming that the destination of the "reports" is the user of the
application, a log file, or something like that.) Thus, it seems to me
that it might be inappropriate to use the SHOULD word since IETF apps
are supposed to be focused on interoperation and are supposed to avoid
constraining application behavior unnecessarily. May I suggest that
you rewrite this sentence in a manner similar to that below:

"It is strongly recommended that Atom processors that do recognize the
parameter detect and report ...."

bob wyman