On Feb 23, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Elliotte Harold wrote:
I'd like to add multiple links to my feed for both the current version of the story and the permalink. E.g.
    <link href="http://www.cafeconleche.org/#February_22_2007_30633"/>
<link rel="permalink" href="http://www.cafeconleche.org/oldnews/ news2007February22.html#February_22_2007_30633"/>

Both of those would probably be best described as "alternate" links. The second one in particular is what "alternate" was intended to be used for. However, RFC 4287 contains the following:

   o  atom:entry elements MUST NOT contain more than one atom:link
      element with a rel attribute value of "alternate" that has the
      same combination of type and hreflang attribute values.

So you couldn't keep both as "alternate" links. In my opinion, you should use the second one (the longer lasting one) only, and omit the first (which is going to become invalid as soon as the entry falls off the page anyway -- anyone who used it to get to your page and bookmarked it, and anyone who follows it from a cached copy of your feed isn't going to be able to find the entry without a lot of needless digging through your archives). You should have a link to http://www.cafeconleche.org/ at the feed level. While that won't link directly to that entry, it'll get people to it as long as it's on that page.