On Wed, May 16, 2012 at 11:00 PM, Chris Schanzle <schan...@nist.gov> wrote:

> On 05/11/2012 11:38 AM, George Galt wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Chris Schanzle<schan...@nist.gov>
>>  wrote:
>>
>>> I would say about 25% of the time, mythbackend doesn't start on my
>>> Fedora 16
>>> box on reboot.  From the logs, it appears the local mysqld is not ready
>>> accept connections.  Unfortunately, it doesn't try to reconnect and the
>>> result is missed recordings and a non-functional frontend.  Restarting
>>> mythbackend (service mythbackend restart) is the band-aid.
>>>
>>> Is there some improvement we can make to the initscript to ensure we can
>>> talk to the sql server?  I realize it might not be local on the box, so
>>> we
>>> can't just depend on the mysqld service.
>>>
>>> Note mysqld is a systemd service while mythbackend is a SysV service
>>> (init.d
>>> script).
>>>
>>> I'd take a stab at a fix, but would appreciate any guidance on the best
>>> direction to head.
>>>
>>> Thanks!

>> Chris:
>>
>> Any luck on developing something that works here?  I've noticed others
>> are also having this issue and I'll probably take a look at it this
>> weekend, but if you've made a headstart, please let me know.
>>

> I poked at it back in April but a mythtv update overwrote my mods, didn't
> get any response, so I presumed it was just me.  My mysqldb is quite large
> (/var/lib/mysql/mythconverge = 222MB) so I can imagine MySQL might take a
> few seconds to become ready.
>
> Putting a few more thoughts into it, I don't think this could/should be
> fixed with initscripts, but rather is a bug in mythbackend which should
> attempt to connect to the configured db until success, not just fail once
> and fall over.
>
> From /var/log/boot.log, MySQL is starting before the mythbackend SYSV
> script, so that's good.
>
> At this point, I'd take hack of a 'sleep 10' delay to the start() section
> of /etc/init.d/mythbackend and run with it until a real fix is implemented.
>  :-)
>
> Chris

There was a recent thread on mythtv-users (OP George Galt) where they
"fixed" the mythbackend systemd start script.  The RPMforge developer was
going back-and-forth with some other folks about how to write the systemd
file such that mythbackend would start properly.  Last I saw, they had a
final version worked out.  Maybe AtRPMS could integrate the same systemd
file since init is gone in Fedora 16.

/Brian/