On 5/14/2010 11:33 AM, Axel Thimm wrote:
>> So if I've followed things correctly over the years, it seems like Axel every
>> so often syncs up with the -fixes branch of Myth. It sounds like Yeechang is
>> incorporating some of the newer patches that haven't made it into -fixes yet.
>
> I'm not 100% sure about the etymology, but I think you can see it like
> Yeechang adding some jewels (bijoux in french) to the standard mythtv
> packages ATrpms provides. Traditionally these were similar or the same
> like Jean-Yves Avenard's patchset for Ubuntu, I'm not sure how similar
> the patchesets are in 0.23.
>
> E.g. the packages are 0.23-fixes as shipped in the vanilla ATrpms
> packages with many added patches that haven't made it into stable yet,
> but which many people find useful.
>
> The upgrade path from non-bijou to bijou is 100% safe, for the other
> direction I'd better let Yeechang explain (I think it is safe as
> well). Many users have reported very good experiences with the bijou
> releases but occasionaly a patch may need to be revisited or removed
> (this just happened like once or twice in 1.5 years).

That's even easier to understand: Bijoux = ATrpms Plus Stuff. That could be
very useful as there have been moments in the past when I've needed things in
Myth for which there are patches but which haven't yet made it into your
releases (VDPAU, etc.)

I'd love to hear from Yeechang on the downgrading (backgrading??) question. I
would imagine using Bijoux for some feature but then moving back to ATrpms
once that feature makes it there. But that would probably mean going from an
older Bijoux release to a newer ATrpms release. Seems like lots of
possibilities for problems.