On 13/01/2012 2:21 PM, James Szinger wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 16:58:23 -0800
Kirk Bocek<t...@kbocek.com>  wrote:
On 1/12/2012 4:22 PM, James Szinger wrote:
I'm running mythtv on a CentOS 6.2 system, and it's working well---I
haven't noticed any problems.  Although, now that I've read this
thread I see 4 defunct mythfrontend processes on a freshly booted
system.

Have you tried the open-source video drivers.  They are much
improved since EL 5.  The mythtv box is using the radeon chip on
the motherboard:

01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS880
[Radeon HD 4200]
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS880 HDMI Audio
[Radeon HD 4200 Series]

I also have a Fedora laptop using the nouveau driver and
mythfrontend runs fine on it.

The laptop also has 4 defunct mythfrontend processes, but it has the
RPM Fusion build of mythtv.  This might be an upstream problem.

Jim
What's your video output like? I haven't revisited the whole video
support issue in a long time. I settled on Nvidia + VDPAU quite a
while ago. I need to drive Full 1080 HD on a 60" plasma and don't
have room for any hiccups.
The CentOS 6.2 box is driving a 720p TV via a DVI/HDMI connection.  The
Fedora laptop is a ThinkPad T61 with a 1440x900 display.  The source
material is mostly 720p and 1080i ATSC off-the-air.  Playback is smooth
with both systems.  (I did see some stuttering with CentOS 6.0, but
that's been resolved.)  I was pleasantly surprised that the motherboard
video card with the default drivers produced watchable video and
digital audio.  That had never happened before with Linux.  I had even
budgeted for a discrete video card which I ended up not buying.

My previous MythTV box ran CentOS 5, and I used the Nvidia drivers on
it, because the default drivers weren't good enough.

Also, at $dayjob, I have a Fedora workstation with a 1920x1280 display
and the nouveau drivers work well with it, although I don't do much
video.

Your results will depend on your exact hardware, but situation is
better than it's ever been before.

I've just installed mythfrontend on another CentOS 6.2 X86_64 box (don't know why I didn't think of doing this before). It has on-board Radeon video (so no Nvidia driver) and after playing around watching some livetv & recordings, no zombies.

It looks to me like it could be the Nvidia driver. I'm going to give the Nouveau driver a try on my main mythbox but I don't know how it will go with a fairly low-end CPU (AMD dual core 4850e).

Steve.