I ran into this before and found where someone said just include a delay in the mythbackend startup script (edit /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend and change/add: sleep ## <-- number of seconds 5 - 10 works), that has been working for me.

# daemon --user mythtv $binary $OPTIONS
  daemonsleep 10; $binary $OPTIONS
Hope this helps.

Message: 1 Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 17:20:33 -0400 From: Chris Schanzle <schan...@nist.gov> To: User discussion about ATrpms.net <atrpms-users@atrpms.net> Subject: Re: [ATrpms-users] mythbackend starting before mySQLd Message-ID: <503fd921.8090...@nist.gov> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"; format=flowed On 08/29/2012 05:41 AM, Paul wrote: