On Fri, 31 Aug 2012, The Walters wrote:

> I ran into this before and found where someone said just include a delay in
> the mythbackend startup script (edit
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/mythbackend and change/add: sleep ## <-- number of seconds 5
> - 10 works), that has been working for me.
>
> # daemon --user mythtv $binary $OPTIONS
>   daemon sleep 10; $binary $OPTIONS
> Hope this helps.

Rather than try to find the best sleep value, I added this bit of code
before mythbackend actually starts:
#Wait for mysql to start, up to 60 seconds

for i in {1..60}
do
        if mysql -u mythtv -pPassword </dev/null >/dev/null 2>&1  ; then
                break
        fi
        sleep 1s;
done

So it checks once a second to see if it can connect, 60 times. It will wait
up to a minute, then continue anyway -- and mythbackend will fail, but if it
isn't up after a minute something is wrong.